Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions related to the EMG Solutions provision of EMG and nerve conduction studies.
We provide electrodiagnostic testing services including nerve conduction studies (NCS) and needle electromyography (EMG).
- Physical therapists who provide electrodiagnostic testing services are required to complete a rigorous didactic curriculum, 500 clinical studies and 2000 hours of testing in order to qualify to sit for an examination administered by the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME).
- Currently, among all physical therapists in the United States, only 166 are board certified to provide electrodiagnostic testing services.
- The providing physical therapist, as a qualified practitioner, reads the report and writes the conclusion.
- It is important to remember that the physical therapist does not diagnose the condition simply based on the results of the study. Rather, the results describe the state or condition of the peripheral nerve and associated muscle in order to assist the referring physician in their diagnosis.
We are accustomed to providing the service in multiple clinics and recognize the demand will vary from one clinic to another and even from one month to another. We have the ability to scale the service depending on the demand. A small satellite office might need this service for half a day every two weeks but a busy clinic may require a full day (or more) of service on a weekly basis.
Mestinon: This medication must be discontinued for 12 hours prior to the study
All other medications are fine to continue taking
Please Refrain from wearing Lotions, Creams, Perfumes, and Oils as these can these can interact with the equipment not allowing it to work properly.
Jewelry will have to be removed prior to testing
Please wear loose fitting clothing or athletic wear so that your legs, arms, neck, and back can easily be accessed.
The test will take approximately one hour
Billing and Collecting
- The Clinic is responsible for the billing and collecting for the services provided. The providing physical therapist is credentialed by the clinic and all benefits are collected by the clinic.
- EMG Solutions will provide all necessary documentation for the credentialing.
- EMG Solutions will submit a monthly invoice to The Clinic based on services provided.
- EMG Solutions goal is to expedite scheduling, testing and report turnaround. Depending on caseload, we increase availability.
- We plan to see one patient per hour and, depending on clinic hours, usually see nine patients in a full day (we don’t stop for lunch).
- Usually, an EMG schedule is added to the clinic schedule based on our agreed dates and times, and EMG referrals are placed on that schedule. On the scheduled date, we see the patient, and complete the billing and other documentation. Reports are completed the same day the study is performed. Usually there is a designated person as our point of contact for the schedule, billing and documentation.
- Depending on referrals, we can increase or decrease availability.
- Depending on the clinic, we usually perform the testing in an exam room using a plinth. In some locations where physical therapy is co-located, we provide the service in the physical therapy department. Most treatment rooms are of sufficient size for us to set up our equipment and see the patient.